Thursday, March 29, 2012

Meet the Designer: DCOTA's 'Star on the Rise' Joe Fava (Part 1 of 2)


Joe Fava of Fava Design Group, in Miami, was named one of DCOTA's Stars on the Rise during the recent Stars of Design Awards. We got the chance to chat with Joe despite his busy schedule, and learned more about why he's a rising star.
GDG: How did you get started in the interior design world?

JF: I began my "second" career in interior design in 1996, when I decided to go back to school for interior design. I had always been enthralled with design, architecture, building, and renovations, but I was discouraged from majoring in architecture [as an] undergrad. So I first got the "safe" business degree and then followed my passion and got a degree in interior design. In retrospect, it was actually a good thing because I enjoy the creative aspect of design more than the technical. So architecture was probably not for me!

GDG: Was there anything in particular that helped you fall in love with the design industry?

JF: I have always appreciated the beauty in my surroundings and the level of quality and craftsmanship that can be found in the finer things. I love striving to attain the best, and I share that appreciation and exposure with my clients. I enjoy immensely the hunt for the perfect fabric, just the right chair, or that one accessory that completes the space. But the most rewarding part of my work is to see the look of appreciative clients when they walk through their newly decorated home for the first time. That moment makes everything worthwhile.
GDG: Was there anything in particular that most progressed your skills along the way?

JF: I believe that I was born with my sense of aesthetic and that each year I continue to fine-tune it. I enjoying trying new things, using new materials, and pushing myself to take risks that result in the expansion of my creativity—but my business degree and experience in management and sales have most propelled my career forward.
In design school, there are only a few business course requirements, a far cry from what is needed to run a successful interior design firm. My business knowledge and experience have been invaluable to the success of Fava Design Group.
Tomorrow, Joe shares with us his experience at the Stars of Design Awards at DCOTA and his recent project on Jupiter Island, Florida, that he couldn't be more proud of.

1 comment:

  1. [...] Group about his recent Star on the Rise award at DCOTA's Stars of Design Awards. Earlier this week, we learned about how Joe got started, and today Joe shares what the Rising Star Award means to [...]

    ReplyDelete