Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Meet the Blogger: Marisa Marcantonio Speaks the Style Beat (Part 2)

Yesterday, we introduced you to Marisa Marcantonio, author of StyleBeat and one of the bloggers participating in the DDB's Bloggers Lounge during Fall Market. We had the pleasure of talking with Marisa  about her personal design style and what she loved about this summer's trends.


GDG: What are a few fundamental elements of your own space?

MM: I live with color all around me, from the shade on my nightstand lamp to the colorful boxes that store essentials on my desk-the pops of brights make me happy. Even my shower curtain is a bright turquoise graphic geometric pattern.




GDG: Were there any trends this summer that you especially loved--or didn't?

MM: I think trends in the home are starting to transition as quickly as fashion in many aspects. Accessories are the easiest and fastest way to transform a space in an instant. The rustic artisinal look is easy to incorporate and it adds a patina so things don't all look new; when mixing old and new you get a layered look I really like.


Personally, I will never tire of the use of ethnic details like embroidery, mixed metals and the combination of hot pink and orange that captures the feeling of a Moroccan souk. I am seeing tons of zigzag prints these days, but I still adore them.


GDG: What are you looking forward to seeing during the DDB's Fall Market?

MM: There are fabric houses that create collections I always look forward to like Osborne and Little and Manuel Canovas. The European trends and sensibility for color and pattern really shine through and make me aware of trends bubbling up abroad. But I also love the fresh American palette from Quadrille, where I can always count on seeing a graphic print that will amaze!


GDG: Can you share some fun facts about yourself?

MM: Right now I am working on pulling a design scheme together for my new apartment. I want to create a cohesive space with a singular unifying print, and a check and solid to coordinate. I am sure my designer friends will step in to help me edit along the way, and I will ask them about the best upholstery pairings, since I love tape trim and prints!


I am also very classic in my tastes and want to make sure I mix things with a history along with my new pieces, it just makes the perspective much more interesting. I love when fabric houses recolor the classics with new brights, it revives the print and gives it new life. But some prints, like Brunschwig [& Fils]'s Verrieres floral chintz, are perfectly timeless!

No comments:

Post a Comment