Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Meet the Blogger: Nicole Gibbons' So Haute Style (Part 2)

Yesterday, we introduced you to Nicole Gibbons, author of SoHauteStyle — one of the bloggers participating in the DDB's Bloggers Lounge during Fall Market. We had the pleasure of talking with Nicole further about her personal design style and what she loved of this summer's trends.


GDG: What are some of your favorite things about your blog?

NG: I recently posted about Beni Ouarain rugs from Morocco and a reader sent me the sweetest email telling me how much my blog inspires her with great decor ideas and that she's saving up to buy a rug like the ones I blogged about. Getting those kinds of notes really makes my day.


Blogging can sometimes feel a bit isolating because you're at home alone in front of your computer and even though I have a very strong readership, it can often feel like I'm blogging for myself. Getting such positive and enthusiastic feedback from readers is what keeps me motivated to continue blogging.




GDG: What are a few fundamental elements of your own space?

NG: Above anything else it's extremely important that my home evokes a feeling of comfort. I really live in my home. I have a small one bedroom apartment and every inch gets used so comfort is really key for me. In terms of decor, I love a really rich, layered look. Layering colors, patterns and lots of texture is what makes my space look and feel more visually interesting.


GDG: Were there any trends this summer that you especially loved--or didn't?

NG: I tend not to buy into trends so much and instead I tend toward a more timeless look. I buy pieces that I love despite whether or not they're considered trendy.


I do like to look at fashion for inspiration and one fashion trend that I would never want to bring into my home is the Neon trend that was all the rage this spring and summer. In fashion, I could do a little neon in small doses but I wouldn't want to live in a space with too many vivid, neon hues. It would make me feel anxious!




GDG: What are you looking forward to seeing during the DDB's Fall Market?

NG: I'm a big fan of Lee Jofa and Kravet and love all of their designer collaborations so I'm excited to get a peek at their latest collections. I also can't wait to check out Schumacher and Brunschwig's latest.


Another thing I'm looking forward is attending some of the keynote panels! The D&D always brings in such a fabulous roster of speakers!


GDG: Can you share some fun facts about yourself?

NG: I love to entertain so I collect lots of tabletop items and glassware both new and vintage. I love arranging flowers at home and pink peonies are my favorite! There's nothing I love more than to travel and St Barth's is my favorite destination. I also love a good flea market and wherever I travel around the world I always seek out the best flea markets and vintage shops!


Check back with GoDesignGo to meet more of the DDB's Fall Market Bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment