Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Social Media Spotlight: Millie Talks Hair & Design with Tyler Wisler from Design Star (Part 2)

DDB web marketing manager, GoDesignGo guest blogger  and founder of the beauty blog Social Butterfly Salon Millie Massa-Ahmed shared with us her recent interview with Design Star contestant Tyler Wisler. Today,  we're learning more about Tyler's design style and his experience with Design Star.


By Millie Massa-Ahmed


MMA: Can you share a little about your experience with Design Star?

TW: Design Star is this crazy unrealistic world of chaos, fun and instant design. There’s a lot of creative thinking and pushing yourself to go outside of your comfort zone of “real” reality. You find yourself doing things you would never attempt for an actual client, or re-thinking plans a half dozen times because of time, budget or practicality restraints. It’s an endurance test for you mentally, physically, emotionally and creatively, and I would absolutely do it again!




MMA: What are some key elements of your design style?

TW: Space planning is key, because you can have the most beautiful, expensive, rarest and most sought after items in the world in your space, but if you can’t move in the room, it’s just a space full of stuff! I also think that design is so, so subjective. What I like isn’t necessarily what my client wants or needs and at the end of the day the client lives in the space, not you, so directing a client to make thoughtful decisions about furniture, fabric, etc. is our job as designers. We try to educate and elevate our clients to see beauty in spaces.




MMA: What are a few things you’re busy with now?

TW: Right now it’s riding out the Design Star wave to be honest, and looking out for what’s next on the agenda! My life will undoubtedly be changed by the experience of having millions of people actually watch me in action. It’s amazing publicity that I couldn’t have paid for!


MMA: Can you share a fun fact about yourself?

TW: I’m a husband, but most importantly a dad! I’ve also got a bit of a Starbucks addiction, but I’m seeking out help... 12-step programs for coffee dependency is a tough thing to find!


MMA: Did you do anything differently with your hair for Design Star?

TW: I started growing out my hair in last December. Prior to that, it was a barbershop trim every two weeks like clockwork, super short on the side with some length on top to play with. I actually started growing out my hair with the anticipation that I would make it in Design Star this year because I knew if I made the show I wouldn’t be able to maintain the super short look, and didn’t want to look shaggy! Is that crazy? Before I even auditioned for the show, I was mentally preparing for the looks of my hair! Talk about hair obsession!


Be sure to watch Tyler on Design Star and check out Millie's blog for your hair essentials and tips for styles and salons.


No comments:

Post a Comment