Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tips From the Trade: Joe Ginsberg on the Creation of Paint Pigments (Part 1 of 2)

Last month, New York-based interior designer, painter, and home furnishings expert Joe Ginsberg taught us about the art of glass making and how to best shop for your glassware. Now, Joe tells us about the creation of paint pigments.


GDG: When did you first become interested in the art of painting?

JG: Before I became an interior designer and home furnishings designer, I was first and foremost a fine artist and painter. To this day, I still paint and practice fine art.




GDG: How did you decide to start making your own paints?

JG: It's truly in my nature to conceive the work as much as the process itself, so this is where it began.  Many years ago, I began making my own paint pigment because I felt I could achieve the true character of the color myself.




GDG: Do you feel you're better connected with your painting by doing so?

JG: Yes, in creating the paint from scratch long before I put brush to canvas, I'm brought closer to the creation of the piece. Being close to the process and the work is always my goal with my work.


Stay tuned for Tips From the Trade with Joe tomorrow when he will give us his list of ingredients for creating paint pigments and what to know when mixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment