Friday, August 26, 2011

Meet the Blogger: Ask Patrick J. Hamilton Whatever You Heart Designs (Part 2)

Yesterday, we introduced you to Patrick J. Hamilton.  The founder of AskPatrick and regular contributor to Apartment Therapy is one of the bloggers participating in the DDB's Blogger Lounge during Fall Market. We sat down with Patrick to learn more about the amazing things he's been up to and what he's excited about at Fall Market 2011.


GDG: What are some of your favorite things about your blog?

PJH: I started AskPatrick to help homeowners fine-tune and finish their spaces. It’s been a great way to connect with people who’ve found my design work on HGTV.com and other places, but live too far away for me to work with them directly. Most of them are just stuck on one last item, hurdle, or challenge-the “Home Stretch” as I call it! Maybe I should have named my blog that!


GDG: Were there any trends this summer that you especially loved--or didn't?

PJH: My summer eye has wandered to the blue tones. I’m loving anything from Indigo to Navy to Marine to Peacock. But there is a crazy-bright amber canary yellow at Kravet that stops me in my tracks every time I see it. I'm dying to use that somewhere soon! And anything in that ethereal sea-glass, not-quite blue, not quite green range still ranks high for me. So chic for a bedroom, with deep wood tones and silvers… although I’ve noticed gold and brass tones edging their way back in!




I’m also a big, big fan of textured wall coverings. There are some AMAZING vinyls out there right now at Designtex and Koroseal. You’d swear they were silks and grasses, but totally kid and bathroom friendly! And of course, the wall coverings of Phillip Jeffries at Holly Hunt (SLATE!!!) and the classic grasses of Schumacher. Just put up one of their papers in a media room, and it is SPECTACULAR.

Speaking of color and spectacular, I'm loving the Lilly Pulitzer line at Lee Jofa. I think that’s my Miami roots showing a little, too!


GDG: What are you looking forward to seeing during the DDB's Fall Market?

PJH: Like many, I can’t wait for the big Donghia unveiling! Expansion and new energy is so important for our industry. I’ve been a fan of Donghia since the Hutton era, and it’s exciting to see them find new ways to stay fresh and relevant, without losing their original soul.


Lately, I’ve been finding a lot to like at Summer Hill, and their vibe seems perfectly suited to fall nesting season, so I can’t wait to see what they have in store. I’m also always pulled in by A. Rudin’s easy, classic chic. So usable, so glamorous!


GDG: Can you share a fun fact about yourself?

PJH: I collect portraits (mostly photographic, although my collection of vintage oil portraits made it into my winning window for Bloomingdale’s) although lack of wall space has slowed my art acquisition habit!


Check back with GoDesignGo to meet more of the DDB's Bloggers Lounge roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment