Friday, August 26, 2011

Guest Blogger: Keith Lichtman on Being Your Own Best Client (Part 1 of 2)

We recently introduced you to our newest Guest Blogger, New York-based interior designer Keith Lichtman of KL Interiors. Here's what Keith shared with us on designing for himself and a step-by-step process on how to be your own best client.


By Keith Lichtman


Having purchased a wonderful apartment in a charming 1920’s building in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood, I was ready to be my own best client and begin the design and decoration process. Taking stock of all existing conditions and architecture is always my first step. The bones of the apartment were all there: tall 9.5 foot ceilings, hardwood floors with beautiful inlays, original picture moldings and grand archways.




After having sung the praises of my new home, I had to next address the actual design challenges that even the best of apartments often present.


Design Dilemma and Solution#1: First and foremost was the lack of natural light. Is this possible? There are actually 11 very tall windows in my apartment!


Unfortunately, most of them are blocked from natural light due to all-too-close buildings. What a classic New York City scenario. I always try to “move mountains” in my design and in my life, but knew that I could not move the neighboring buildings.


When selecting a paint color for my multi-windowed, yet dark and brick-wall-facing living/dining room, I knew the decision would be a crucial one. Since creating a sense of warmth and light (think “glow”) was a primary decision, I knew to immediately forgo using white.


Stay tuned for Keith's solution to apartments lacking enough light to learn how he was able to give his space a warm glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment