Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Meet the Blogger: Here In This House with Elise & Mae (Part 2 of 3)

Yesterday, we introduced you to Elise Marshall Jones and Mae Hacking, co-founders of design blog HereInThisHouse.  This design duo is two of the several bloggers participating in the DDB's Bloggers Lounge during Fall Market. We chatted with Elise and Mae to learn more about their personal style and interests.


GDG: What are a few fundamental elements to the style of your space?

EM: I come from the South (Natchez, MS) and I have many beautiful antiques and collectibles from my family. While many are not my style of choice, I try to figure out ways to incorporate them into my design aesthetic in order to give homage to my family’s heritage and lessen my environmental footprint by reusing these items. My design style of choice is contemporary: clean lines and clever use of everyday objects is crucial to decorating my home!




MH: When I'm considering my own home, I try to keep a balance between the new, the old and the repurposed. To minimize creating waste, I prefer to creatively reuse pieces that have outlived their original purpose. I absolutely adore pieces with history and a sense of story, such as my collection of heirloom antiques and paintings. They are true workhorses in creating that personal and unique touch in any space. When I do buy something new, I do my best to pick up pieces of the highest quality to be used for the long term and not something disposable.


GDG: Can you share a fun fact about yourself?

MH: I enjoy a bit of needlework when time permits. I have family in England and force them to go to the local embroidery shop so I can pick up a new project. There is something peaceful and contemplative about stitching and I always feel productive creating something of beauty with my own hands. One day, I'd love to use favorite textiles as inspiration to create my own patterns!


I also have an intense passion for photography, particularly, as I say, for non-moving objects. Interiors and travel photography (even to such exotic locales as a local farm) are my greatest strengths. I have recently acquired two vintage (film) cameras and am wondering how I'm going to handle waiting three days for the film to be developed so I can see my images!




EM: I love old houses with character. Growing up in antebellum Natchez, MS, gave me an appreciation for beautifully kept homes and gardens. You’ll never find me in a new construction home; it just goes against my upbringing! I’m also a Francophile; growing up, my mom taught me French and I was determined to know as much about the culture as possible. Fast forward 20 years later and I married a French man!


Stay tuned to GoDesignGo to learn what Elise and Mae are most looking forward to at the DDB’s Fall Market.


No comments:

Post a Comment