Monday, August 22, 2011

Social Media Spotlight: Millie Talks Hair & Design with Tyler Wisler from Design Star (Part 1 of 2)

Guest blogger and DDB web marketing manager Millie Massa-Ahmed is also the founder and writer behind the well-known beauty blog, Social Butterfly Salon. Millie recently chatted with Design Star contestant Tyler Wisler at the DDB about everything from Design Star to his hair. Here's what Tyler had to say.


By Millie Massa-Ahmed



MMA: Can you tell us about yourself and how you came to love design?

TW: I'm originally from Honolulu, Hawaii and with a mother who practiced drama and a general contractor for a father. I was actually named after an established architect in Honolulu, “Ty” Sutton. It was a fortunate mix of elements that really indicated what I would come to love in life!


Since the very beginning, I've always had a knack for coordinating and styling, even at the youngest of ages. My mom never discouraged my talents and enrolled me in everything from art classes and painting workshops to creative thinking courses.




MMA: What made you leave Hawaii?

TW: After graduating high school, I left my tropical paradise for the chance to submerge my appetite for design on the east coast and continue my studies. After graduating with my Interior Design degree, fate stepped in and I was given the opportunity to come on board with Michael Braverman Design, Inc.


There, I was given the chance to experience all aspects and styles of interior design, from initial site measurements, to space planning and programming, fabric and furnishing selections, to designing custom case goods. It was amazing!


MMA: After leaving Hawaii, has it been hard finding hair salons for your hair? What are your plans for your hair?



TW: The last haircut I got was at  KIWA salon on 27th Street. It was my first time there and not bad. My primary reason for going there was that it is basically a Japanese salon and I'd read they did a great job with perms. YES my hair has a perm in it! I think it was pretty successful; otherwise my hair is pin straight!


I have no idea what my final look is going to be, maybe a Johnny Depp or Michael Hutchence (from INXS) kind of look. I want to be able to at least start pulling the top half back with elastic but I honestly don’t know. I could watch something on TV tonight and chop it all--I’m crazy like that, and LOVE rocking different looks.


Stay tuned to GoDesignGo for more from Millie and Tyler tomorrow to learn about Tyler's involvement with Design Star. In the meantime, check out Millie's blog for your hair essentials and tips for styles and salons.

No comments:

Post a Comment