Friday, April 27, 2012

Meet the blogger: Julieta Alvarez

Meet Julieta Alvarez, who will be joining us in the Bloggers Lounge during Spring market.



How long have you been blogging? I’ve been blogging at Design Intake for the past 2 years,

Where are you from? I am from Argentina and been in NYC for the past 13 years.



What in your background prepared you for blogging? I graduated as an interior designer from NYSID and I assisted interior designers like Alex Papachristidis and Jeff Lincoln. I started blogging as a means to record and share my ideas about interior design, photography, fashion, art, architecture and anything else that sparks her curiosity.



What’s your blogging schedule like? I don’t have a schedule per se. I go to showrooms and events almost every day, so I am always inspired! On the weekends, I try to get away from interior design and visit art galleries and museums in search for amazing photographs and art - I love visiting the galleries in Chelsea! They change constantly and they always have the best photographs.



Favorite showroom at the D&D? John Rosselli for their casual print linens, Pierre Frey for their magnificent Opera velvet that comes in many bright colors and Fadini Borghi fabric. Clarence House for unusual patterned fabrics, Lee Jofa because they have almost anything you are looking for, Maharam for their contract and modern fabrics and Donghia for its assortment of fantastic collections.



How do you shop the building? Is there a system? Are you always on a mission? It took me many visits to the DDB to finally know what each showroom specializes in. It’s a lot quicker and I know exactly where to go now. For example, if I am looking for linens, I know I have to go to Rogers & Goffigon and Pindler and Pindler. If I am looking for a killer pattern, then Donghia, Clarence House and Lee Jofa should be the first ones to visit.



All-time favorite designers / designs? If you knew what my dog’s name was you might have guessed who my favorite interior designer is.  My dog’s name is Miles and his last name is Redd and there you have it! Miles Redd is one of my favorite designers because he is so bold when it comes to color. He tends to lacquer walls in ultramarine and other jewel tones like red orange and juxtaposes them with rougher textures like linen, African cloth and horse hair. He also uses a lot of bright color velvets, which I love. Most of his interiors are very traditional but when he decides to go a little wild… that's when I like him the most. He also takes a lot from history without being a slave to it. He upholsters doors in zebra skin in a fairly traditional room, a Suzani patterned sofa in a room with De Gournay wallpaper, lacquered walls and Louis XVI furniture, and I can keep going on and on. He had me at lacquered walls. I just love him.



What’s on your coffee or beside table? Lots and lots of books and magazines, coral, colorful lacquer bowls and a shagreen box.
How do you get your news / favorite source? Editor at Large and godesigngo, of course! They have the latest interior design news and events.



What are five bookmarks you check at least once a day? Coco and Kelley, Emily Henderson’s blog, dustjacket attic, Serena and Lily, Lillian August, Jayson Home and 1st dibs.



What’s the best thing/discovery/source/person you’ve found recently? I discovered this amazing furniture line called Sun Furniture. They make all their furniture in California and they can custom make any of their pieces to your liking. I am in love with their “Monarca” dining and side tables!



Tell us something interesting about yourself.  If I wasn’t an interior designer, I would be a travel photographer. I love to walk around in unknown cities taking pictures and blogging about the design inspiration it gives me. Luxury for me is having spare time and being happy with it--spending that in a beautifully designed space wouldn't hurt either!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview, Julieta.  I knew you were more than window dressing; smart, observant and savvy.

    ReplyDelete